Monday, November 9, 2009

Outer Banks, Ferries, and Good Eats (Part 3)

On Monday morning, I missed an exit returning the rental car, and got to the airport just one minute before the car was due to be returned. I showed the guy where the car had been bumped, and he said not to worry about it. Whew! He also told me that Enterprise still gives a half-hour grace for returns, and that I could return the car to a neighborhood rental location for no extra charge. That way I could get a free ride back to the motel. God is so good! It still was stressful though since his directions to the other rental location just got me to the right general area . . . where I did not see any Enterprise signs at first.

The rest of the week was mainly occupied with work, of course. But I did eventually make time during a lunch break to ride the passenger ferry across the Elizabeth River and back. The dock was within about a block of the conference site. This was my first ride on a paddlewheel boat. Since it was covered by my 7-day bus pass, I didn't have to pay a fare either!

After the nasty nor'easter weather of the weekend, most of the week had great weather for my commutes back and forth on the bus. Of course the buses offered a wide cross-section of fellow passengers, everything from gangsta types to an evangelist and college students and old folks and cute little kids. Generally the rides were pleasant and timely, although there was one Third World-like experience where the connecting bus apparently ran out of gas at the transfer stop. Obviously somebody really messed up to let that happen.

No comments: