Thursday, March 4, 2010

Just A Poor Wayfaring Stranger

Over the last month or so, I've been preparing to start a new Sunday School class that would use John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" as a template to look at our Journey of faith. Yesterday was set as the start date for the new class, and last Thursday afternoon I was looking specifically at the material for the first class. Of course, I was also fighting off some butterflies and doubts about starting the new class.

As I started to rush over for the Metro Baptist Association missions banquet, the Bill Monroe song "Wayfaring Stranger" came into my head. It really struck me how the song fit so well the description by Bunyan of our "pilgrimage" through a world of trouble and temptations in pursuit of a heavenly home with Christ. When I got to the banquet, I was surprised to see a bluegrass band on the program. The fact that the name of their first song was not listed added to my shock when they got up and started on "Wayfaring Stranger"! As I listened to their beautiful performance of the song, I knew for certain that God had heard my need for assurance. Beyond the Sunday School class, the song also meshed amazingly with other areas where God has been challenging me. More pieces of the puzzle in seeking God's will, in hearing His voice. Good thing I didn't miss the banquet this year!

No comments: